Monday, February 8, 2021

I had always known that no matter what, I could always go home. But where was home if my parents were in Africa?

 

Today I’m delighted to introduce you to Karen. If you’ve read Grandma’s Letters from Africa, you know her as my precious daughter. (See the photo below of Karen, her husband Brian, and their three terrific young men.)

 

Brian had not entered Karen’s life when my husband and I left for Africa. She was all alone. Moving half a world away from her was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I’ve told you about that in recent posts.

 

Because some of you have young adult kids

and you’re wrestling with whether to move

in a direction God’s pointing you,

I asked Karen to jot down her recollections

of the months surrounding her parents’ departure

for the mission field.

 

Our hope and prayer is that

God will use her story to help you discern

His unique plans for you and your family.

  

Welcome, Karen!

 

“I don’t remember when, exactly, my parents told me they were moving to Africa. It was during my senior year of college and I remember the very beige apartment I was living in and the hill across the street that I used to run.

 

“It was in those places that I tried to come to grips with their move and what felt to me like my loss of them. I was probably a bit melodramatic, 21 years old, finishing college, and figuring Africa might as well have been the moon.

 

“I was terribly sad but in tune with God enough to know that much of my sadness was selfish and self-absorbed, which only complicated my emotions.

 

“Regardless, as I look back now, I agree with my mom in her book, Grandma’s Letters from Africa, when she talks about grieving and mourning.

 

“You might have to know my parents to really understand why it was such a big deal, although reading my mom’s book gives you a good glimpse into the woman she genuinely is, the woman I’d always had as my mom, my fall-back. My parents had been my rocks. They had been my inspirations. They had been my examples and my guides. They showed me Jesus.

 

“My dad and I would go on walks together and talk about Jesus and life, and he showed me that they are inseparable, that life is ministry. He lived a life that trusted God idealistically, steadfastly, and creatively, and he gave me that same view as my paradigm.

 

“My mom had made our house a home and left no doubt in me or my brother of her love for us and for God. My mom was my example of integrity, hard work, selflessness, and the courage to tangibly trust God completely and utterly.

 

“As I look back now on my youth and specifically those days before my parents left for Africa, I understand that it was the unconditional love my parents showed me, showed each other, and showed God, that had defined my life.

 

I had always known that no matter what,

I could always go home.

 

But where was home if my parents were in Africa?”

 

Come back next week for Part 2 from Karen. You don’t want to miss it!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment