Monday, January 27, 2020

Through the Outhouse Floor


I have a hunch many women missionaries arrived on foreign soil with no idea their toilet needs would be so . . . um . . . challenging. (Click on I could envision how men could aim for that hole in the ground, but. . . . and Longing for a loo.)

“Did you notice that the slide bolt is missing off our outhouse door?” Barbara Thomas had asked. “And that floor sure didn’t last long. The boards must have been green. Already they’re rotting.”

In her memoir, Through the Outhouse Floor, Barbara Thomas writes that when she, her husband Paul, and their sons returned to Zaire (now Democratic Republic of Congo) after their furlough in the U.S., repairs awaited them.

Barbara continues,

“One afternoon I grabbed a hammer, nails and a new slide bolt. I was tired of using a rock to keep the door shut every time I went to the outhouse. I placed the slide bolt on the door, matching it to its metal slot in the doorframe and penciled in where the nails should go.

“I opened the door, braced it against the wall, and hammered the slide bolt into place. The nails extended through the thin plank door. I banged the nails down flat on the other side.

“I stepped inside again and closed the door, sliding the bolt home. Perfect.

“I stepped back with a feeling of pride. My foot landed on a rotted section of flooring. The floor cracked and gave way.

“My left leg dangled over the fifteen-foot black hole. I felt like screaming for help but on further reflection I decided I didn’t want the entire village converging on the outhouse to see me in this predicament. Besides, the door was still bolted shut. . . .”

Barbara, undaunted, explained,

“Using my arms and free leg, all still at floorboard level, I hoisted myself up . . . unbolted the door and limped to the house.”

Barbara admitted the incident inflicted a slight wound to her pride, but just think—the experience provided her with the title for her memoir! (The old silver lining thing, right?)


You’ll enjoy Kim’s blog post reviewing Barbara’s Through the Outhouse Floor (and her review of my memoir, too, Grandma’s Letters from Africa).  





No comments:

Post a Comment