Monday, April 12, 2021

Running my fingers through a psychiatrist’s hair

 

During our three-month orientation to living well in Africa, we learned practical, hands-on things like how to soak vegetables and fruit in bleach-water to kill amoebas and other critters.

 

We also learned to drive The Pearl. Ah, The Pearl. I haven’t told you yet about The Pearl of Africa, a 1974 Toyota Land Cruiser, perfect for travel in Africa.



Our director, Brian Caston, taught us to drive it across deserts and through streams and showed us how to change punctured tyres. He trained us to note our surroundings when we traveled and to remember key markers, such as a tree or dwelling, to help us find our way back to camp.

 

Brian also taught us to develop coping mechanisms—things that ease frustrations and make life manageable. For example, the twig shelves Dave made for our tent were coping mechanisms—they allowed us to unpack our luggage for six weeks and stay organized.

 

Do you remember how our friend Joy turned an upside-down basin into a makeshift toilet seat? That was also a coping mechanism. Developing coping mechanisms can make the difference between staying on the mission field or giving up and going home.

 

We also learned practical things such as how to sanitize the choo (outhouse) with ashes from our cooking fire.

 

And we learned how to cut hair. One day I helped my friend Nancy cut her psychiatrist-husband’s hair. Never in my wildest dreams could I have guessed I’d one day run my fingers through a psychiatrist’s hair.

 

One day Brian loaded us into The Pearl and another vehicle and we drove around the vast Maasai territory. We stopped in a remote, dusty, parched town, but it seemed like a lively city compared to our campsite, Eleng’ata Enterit. I spotted a man there who wore a tattered, faded T-shirt advertising Spokane’s famous Bloomsday Race—Spokane, Washington, my birthplace. We just never know where our thrift shop donations might end up.

 

We motored on and came to a stream and, since the temperature felt like a hundred degrees, people begged Brian to let them go swimming. He said they could but warned that the water might have microorganisms that make people sick.

 

A few people wanted to swim anyway, and they scouted around for a private place to change clothes—except for the Dutch family. They walked a short distance away and changed where anyone could see.

 

And oh, yes, critters did live in that stream and they made those swimmers sick, sick, sick for several days. Our nurse, Jenny Caston, and her trunk of medicine blessed us richly at such times.


 

I know first-hand how important Jenny and her meds were because while we camped at Eleng’ata Enterit, I got a urinary tract infection. I knew how serious those infections could become, so I shot prayers heavenward and God answered through Jenny and her antibiotics.

 

The meds kicked in immediately, yet I knew, too, that I had to avoid dehydration under that equatorial sun. On one afternoon, I knew I had to lie down.

 

There on my back, I watched a tiny insect crawl up our tent wall. It climbed higher and higher, but when it got to within a foot of the top, it flew off the wall and screamed in wild little circles. After ten seconds of this, it landed back on the wall, several feet lower than before.

 

Again, it climbed higher but, within sight of the top, it tore into its screaming fits and landed low on the tent wall.

 

For fifteen minutes, I watched that little critter repeat its self-defeating behavior. I cheered him on and urged him not to have a meltdown and give up. He had climbed so close to the top!

 

I wanted to tell him the hardest part was behind him and if he could just hold on for a few more seconds, he’d reach his destination. But no, he always gave up just before he reached his goal.

 

Sometimes we humans do the same thing. Impatient and weary, we don’t realize how close we are to success and we give up and indulge in wild fits, and by the time we get back in focus, we’ve lost ground.

 

By God’s grace, our orientation course was aimed at helping us sort all that out. And it was good, so good. (From Grandma’s Letters from Africa, Chapter 2)

Brian and Jenny Caston, dear folks!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment