Monday, July 13, 2020

What was that crazy American woman doing?


I’ve already admitted my angst over living for three months without a proper toilet.

Instead, my only choice was a pit latrine. Well, maybe not my only option—I could have squatted down behind bushes, but with wild animals and snakes and biting insects also hiding in those bushes, that option would have been worse than a pit latrine. And besides, at least our latrine had a yellow plastic tarp around it for privacy.

My friend Joy outside our pit latrine
Have you ever noticed how comforting it is to know you’re not alone in your suffering? With that, today I’ll share a story from missionary B. Arnold about . . . well, you know. . . .

B. admits to life-long anxieties about restrooms and says that when she arrived in Burkina Faso, West Africa, she was introduced to “the thrills and chills” of “multi-bathroom experiences” and concluded she needed to make some changes.

In this excerpt from her article, Bathrooms of the World, she recounts her first trip to a village for an open-air evangelism campaign:

“We were greeted and then led into a very nice courtyard where we were fed supper by the host family. After supper I used the facilities in their yard which consisted of a three-sided mud brick building with no roof and a hole in the center of the cement floor.

“The hole in the center of the floor meant that this outhouse [unlike some others] was a multi-purpose unit and could be used for all ‘needs.’ For a bush village these were very deluxe accommodations. The ‘outhouse’ provided for some semblance of privacy and luxury as well.

“Once the veil of darkness fell upon the village we began our open air evangelism campaign but part way through the service I had to once again use the ‘facilities.’ It was then that I realized that I had forgotten my flashlight. I asked one of the pastors if I could borrow his and he gladly loaned it to me for my little private moment. . . .

“I entered into the deluxe accommodations
and then discovered my dilemma:
what to do with the flashlight
while making use of the hole?
If I placed the flashlight on the wall
I could not see to find the hole
and if I held the flashlight
I could not manage my dress while busy.
What to do? What to do?

“… My only choice would be
to place the flashlight in my mouth
(yes I know that it was dirty!)
and then be as quick as possible before I gagged. . . .

“I looked down to find the hole and when I did, the flashlight shone down into the dark abyss. Soon I was ‘busy’ and at almost the same time thousands of giant cockroaches began pouring out of the hole having been disturbed by the light.

“I could not scream as the borrowed flashlight would fall into the hole—I could not stop—and I could not stand still. Soon I was dancing back and forth, stomping and tromping and shaking off the critters as they tried to crawl up my legs! . . .

“Finally I was able to leave the ‘deluxe’ facilities and leaned against the wall trying to compose myself. I began to shake at the thought of it all and then just as suddenly, I began to laugh. . . . I must have been a site [sic] to behold.

I’m sure that the people who were watching the beam of light dancing around and around in the dark [from inside that roofless outhouse] must have wondered what in the world that crazy American woman was doing. . . .” (B. Arnold, ©Women of the Harvest Magazine, Sept/Oct, 2001. www.womenoftheharvest.com. Now part of Thrive Ministry and The Thrive Ministry Magazine. Excerpts used by permission.)


Originally published July 22, 2010





No comments:

Post a Comment