Monday, July 1, 2019

But I don’t WANT to leave Port Angeles


Sometimes people give me a funny look when they learn I worked in Africa with Wycliffe Bible Translators.

I sense they have questions but are too polite to ask. Questions like, 

Why would you do such a thing?
and Weren’t you scared to go to Africa?”

Many, I suspect, think to themselves,
“There’s no way I’D move to Africa.”

My sentiments exactly!

But both God and my husband had grinned and hollered, “Africa!”

I tried so hard to avoid moving there.

Perhaps you remember the song, Please Don’t Send Me To Africa.” (If not, don't miss it. It's hilarious. Just click on that link.)

The lyrics include: 

“Please don’t make me do something weird,” 

and 

“Please don’t make me do what I fear.… I was thinking of retiring here.”

Back then I didn’t know about that song, but I could have written those words myself.

Below is an excerpt from Grandma’s Letters from Africa that shows you a part—only a teeny-tiny part—of my struggle:

… For some reason … I couldn’t fill out the application. I tried several times. I placed my pen on the application, but I couldn’t fill in the blanks.
Finally, I figured out my problem. I didn’t want to apply to Wycliffe. I didn’t want to get rid of our furniture, our treasures, or our possessions. I didn’t want to dismantle our home.… I didn’t want to say goodbye to friends. I didn’t want to leave Port Angeles, with its forests, mountains, and sea.… 
Arriving in Port Angeles from the east

Every time I howled at God, “I don’t want…” I stomped my foot. I was carrying out a “belligerent balk.” (I think that is Chuck Swindoll’s term.)

“I don’t WANT to apply…!” Stomp!

“I don’t WANT to get rid of our furniture…!” Stomp!

“I don’t WANT to dismantle our home…!” Stomp!

“I don’t WANT to say goodbye to friends!” Stomp!

“I don’t WANT to leave Port Angeles, with its forests, mountains, and sea…!” Stomp!

When you look at these photos of Port Angeles, you’ll no doubt agree: God’s handiwork is breathtaking.

Now you can better understand why I didn’t want to leave that lovely scenery.

But I did leave. God seemed to whisper, “You don’t want to leave the beauty of Port Angeles--but wait until I show you Africa’s splendor!”

And He did. Oh, yes, He did!

How about you? Maybe you recall a time when you stomped your foot and howled at God, “I don’t WANT to…!”

Did you do it anyway? How did it turn out?

Let us know. You can leave a comment below, on Facebook, or in a private message.  

No comments:

Post a Comment